Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy
Inaugural Supervisor School Starts November 4, 2013
**Registration Deadline: October 18**
The University of Kansas Public Management Center (PMC) and the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC), a unit of KU Continuing Education, are pleased to announce the Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy to support law enforcement agencies in Kansas with their professional education needs at the command and front-line supervisory levels.
The mission of LELA is to provide Kansas law enforcement agencies – at every level, location, and size – with top-flight leadership training, networking opportunities, and ongoing professional education.
The Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy (LELA) is administered by the KU Public Management Center, which also is responsible for developing and presenting Academy curriculum. Instructors from the Kansas law enforcement community aid the PMC in tailoring curriculum to fit the needs of Kansas law enforcement agencies.
The Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center hosts LELA education programs at its facility near Hutchinson. Certificates offered through the Academy are jointly issued by the PMC and KLETC.
The Academy offers two education programs:
- The Command School began September 16.
- The Supervisor School will begin November 4. (Application Deadline: Oct. 18)
The Academy will also offer webinars. Click here to see the webinar schedule.
This 200-hour program is geared toward current law enforcement commanders to prepare them for senior and executive-level roles. It launches September 16.
This 40-hour program is geared toward frontline and newly promoted supervisors. The fall class will meet the week of November 4-8.
Which Education Program Would Be Best to Attend?
Each agency may determine the appropriate education program for their personnel; the following definitions should help match students with the appropriate education program. Follow this link for more information about how the LELA programs fit with the other KUPMC educational programs.
- Command level personnel generally function as managers and tend to have policy making authority and/or responsibility.
- Supervisors often serve as the first layer of supervision within an organization and provide direction to frontline law enforcement personnel.
- For more detail about the focus of each program and how that relates to selecting participants, click here.
- Carefully Chosen – Curriculum topics are drawn from survey data gathered from Kansas law enforcement agencies as well as a comprehensive review of other national law enforcement leadership programs (NA, NU, SPI, etc.).
- Competency Based – LELA programs focus on core leadership, management, and law enforcement competencies. Sound leadership principles and effective management skills apply equally to law enforcement agencies of all sizes. Most curriculum is similarly applicable.
- Theory Meets Practice – LELA programs incorporate a blended learning approach where academic theory helps to inform independent critical thinking and practical application.
- Learning from One Another – Curriculum is designed to encourage and support group dialogue and information sharing to build a network for excellence in Kansas law enforcement.
Program Accessibility: We accommodate persons with disabilities. Please call 785-864-6864 to discuss your needs at least two weeks before the start of the program if possible.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Before applying for this course, please make sure that you understand our cancellation and refund policy.