Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy
Law Enforcement Leadership Academy
The University of Kansas Public Management Center (PMC) and the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC), a unit of KU Continuing Education, are pleased to announce the Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy (LELA) to support law enforcement agencies in Kansas with their professional education needs at the command and front-line supervisory levels.
The mission of LELA is to provide high quality leadership development, strengthen partnerships, and promote professionalism throughout the law enforcement community in Kansas.
The Kansas Law Enforcement Leadership Academy (LELA) is administered by the KU Public Management Center, which also is responsible for developing and presenting Academy curriculum. Instructors from the Kansas law enforcement community aid the PMC in tailoring curriculum to fit the needs of Kansas law enforcement agencies.
The Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center hosts LELA education programs at its facility near Hutchinson. Certificates offered through the Academy are jointly issued by the PMC and KLETC.
The Academy offers two education programs:
- The Command School: The next Command School will begin in September 2015. Our 2014 session has already begun; click here for the program schedule.
- The Supervisor School: The Supervisor School scheduled for November 17-21, 2014 is FULL! The next session is scheduled for March 30-April 3, 2015 with a registration deadline of Friday, February 27. Click here for the program schedule.
This 200-hour (plus) program is geared toward current law enforcement commanders to prepare them for senior and executive-level roles.
This 40-hour program is geared toward frontline and newly promoted supervisors.
Which Education Program Would Be Best to Attend?
Each agency may determine the appropriate education program for their personnel; the following definitions should help match students with the appropriate education program. Follow this link for more information about how the LELA programs fit with the other KUPMC educational programs.
- Command level personnel generally function as managers and tend to have policy making authority and/or responsibility.
- Supervisors often serve as the first layer of supervision within an organization and provide direction to frontline law enforcement personnel.
- For more detail about the focus of each program and how that relates to selecting participants, click here.
- Carefully Chosen – Curriculum topics are drawn from survey data gathered from Kansas law enforcement agencies as well as a comprehensive review of other national law enforcement leadership programs (NA, NU, SPI, etc.).
- Competency Based – LELA programs focus on core leadership, management, and law enforcement competencies. Sound leadership principles and effective management skills apply equally to law enforcement agencies of all sizes. Most curriculum is similarly applicable.
- Theory Meets Practice – LELA programs incorporate a blended learning approach where academic theory helps to inform independent critical thinking and practical application.
- Learning from One Another – Curriculum is designed to encourage and support group dialogue and information sharing to build a network for excellence in Kansas law enforcement.
Program Accessibility: We accommodate persons with disabilities. Please call 785-864-6864 to discuss your needs at least two weeks before the start of the program if possible.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Before applying for this course, please make sure that you understand our cancellation and refund policy.