Public Service Recognition Week
Public Service Recognition Week (May 5-11, 2013)
"I Work for Government Because..." A Wordle by Andrew Krzmarzick
Since 1985, the first full week of May has been celebrated as Public Service Recognition Week. It is an opportunity for citizens across the nation to offer a simple thank you to the men and women whose work maintains and improves our communities every day.
Public service employees: We would love to hear from you! What do you like about your job? What has been a memorable experience for you? You can share it either on our Facebook wall (www.facebook.com/kupmc) or on Twitter using #PSRW to have it show in the Twitter feed below.
Community members: Would you like to say thank you to a public service employee? Here are a couple of ways to do that:
- Write a thank you message on our Facebook wall (www.facebook.com/kupmc)
- Post a message on Twitter using #PSRW to have it show in the Twitter feed below
- Give a shout out on GovLoop and Code for America's website WeLovePublicService.org (See one person's thank you to the KU School of Public Affairs and Administration here: http://www.welovepublicservice.org/q/59001)
- Print a thank you note with the Public Service Recognition Week logos
- In color - click here to open the PDF (there are two per page)
- In grayscale - click here to open the PDF (there are two per page)
- Some sample expressions of appreciation are in this Word document - click here
- Send an e-card
Schedule of Events & Special Deals:
Monday, May 6, 2013 (6 a.m.-9 p.m.): Dunn Bros. Coffee in Lawrence is offering a 10% discount to public service employees. Mention discount code #114 when you place your order.
Monday, May 6, 2013 at 12:00-1:30 p.m.: Public Service Town Hall held online by Partnership for Public Service and Public Employees Roundtable - register to watch it here: http://bit.ly/ZldKq3
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 2:00-3:00 p.m. (come and go as you need to): Join us for refreshments at the KU Public Management Center, 715 SW 10th Street, 2nd floor, Topeka.
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.: Sporting KC is offering public service employees discounted seats in the South Stand, a general admission section, for just $23 (normally $30). The soccer match between Sporting KC and the Seattle Sounders starts at 7:30. To order these discounted tickets, click on this link http://j.mp/PSRW2013SportingKC, then use password: service.
All week: Applebee's in Paola only will offer a 10% discount to public service employees. If you have a work ID, that's ideal, but if not, just tell your server that you're a public sector employee.
Random dates and times throughout the week, we'll be surprising various agencies and partners with cookies. We apologize that we cannot make it to every single corner of Kansas - please know that we certainly do appreciate everything YOU do!
Need a Moment of Inspiration?
- Check out our Storify for this week: http://j.mp/PSRW2013Storify (Storify is a place to collectonline posts into a cohesive story.)
- See our PSRW Facebook album, including pictures of our suprise cookie patrol recipients: http://j.mp/PSRW2013Pics
- Watch videos from the Life, Well Run Campaign, an ICMA initiative. The videos are meant to raise awareness of and appreciation for professional local government managers: http://www.youtube.com/user/LifeWellRun?feature=watch
- Read the Proclamation from Governor Brownback designating this Public Service Recognition Week in Kansas
- S. RES 99 of the 113th Congress: Expressing that public servants should be commended for their dedication & service: http://beta.congress.gov/113/bills/sres99/113sres99ats.pdf
- Enjoy GovLoop and Code for America's "We Heart Public Service" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgM9cCm7SBA
- Watch John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address video: http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/BqXIEM9F4024ntFl7SVAjA.aspx ("ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" quote at 13:54 in video)
- Watch videos of federal employees discussing "Why I Serve" http://www.youtube.com/user/PERoundtable?feature=watch
- Read President Obama's "Thank You" to public servants